Novec 1230 solution
Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection fluid is a next generation Halon 1301 replacement. Novec 1230 fluid is an environmentally friendly solution for waterless fire suppression.
Features of Novec 1230
• Safe for human occupancy.
• Atmospheric Lifetime of <5 days, making Global Warming Potential (GWP) negligible
• Zero Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP)
• Appears on US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) list
• Discharges in 10 seconds or less to extinguish fires rapidly, minimising damage to high value assets.
• Designed in accordance with NFPA 2001.
• UL listed and FM approved.
• Marine system with USCG and ABS approvals also available.
WHAT IS NOVEC 1230 FLUID?
Novec 1230 fluid is formed from the elements carbon, fluorine and oxygen [CF3CF2C(O)CF(CF3)2 – dodecafluoro-2-methylpentan-3-one]. The primary extinguishing mechanism of Novec 1230 fluid is heat absorption, with a secondary chemical contribution from the thermal decomposition of Novec 1230 fluid in the flame.
Novec 1230 fluid leaves no residue and is safe for use in occupied spaces. Manufactured by 3M, it is electrically non-conductive and environmentally sustainable. It belongs to a family of chemicals called halocarbons, a group which includes HFCs and fluoroketones. Novec 1230 fluid is a fluoroketone, while chemical clean agents like FM-200™ and ECARO-25® are HFCs (HFC-227ea, HFC-125). Novec 1230 fluid has a global warming potential (GWP) of less than one while these HFCs have a GWP of more than 3000. Novec 1230 fluid has the highest margin of safety for human occupancy among clean agents, including inert gas.
TYPICAL AREAS OF FIRE PROTECTION
• Computer rooms and Data Centers
• Control rooms
• Telecommunication facilities
• Historical archive storage
• Art galleries
• Pharmaceutical and medical facilities
• Record storage facilities
• Engine/Generator Rooms on Marine Vessels
• Bridges of Ships
• Offshore Platforms